Can be started at any time
$2,895 (Easy-pay plan available)
Approximately 28 months
Graduates of this course are eligible for a one month work placement with an interior design company. All placements are made in the Melbourne and Sydney areas.Read More
- Study Option
- Home Study
- AQF Level
- Diploma of Interior Design (MSF50222)
- Entry Requirements
18 years old or over
Must have basic computer skills (navigate the web, send emails, upload/download documents, create documents and presentations, etc.) Must have strong language and literacy skills (at least Year 10 English, or equivalent)
Students are required to complete a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) test as part of their pre-enrolment*
- 22 practical assignments
This course is accredited by the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF).
- Australian Academy of Interior Design (RTO 46046)
The MSF50222 Diploma of Interior Design is designed for students who wish to go on to consult and advise primarily for residential building interiors including interior decoration. Individuals may already be self-employed or employed in businesses such as design studios.
Once successfully completed, graduates of this program can either enter a freelance interior design career or they may choose to work with an established design company. The course is designed around 22 practical assignments, where you develop advanced techniques and a deep understanding of the industry. Typical learners are expected to spend up to 2147 hours depending on existing knowledge, skills, and experience.
As a home study student, you will have full access to the Online Learning Centre. This is a student area containing course material created by industry experts and includes instructional videos, written content, and assignments. Our trainers provide all the knowledge and in-depth feedback and support you will need, and are always contactable through the Online Learning Centre.
*Learners who do not meet the LL&N requirements of the course may still be enrolled if endorsed by the trainer/assessor, and corresponding additional support strategies are in place.
This course covers 27 units of competency clustered into 11 modules.
1. Elements and Principles of Design
This module focuses on familiarising the student with the building blocks of interior design, i.e., the elements and principles of design and an introduction to the steps of a design cycle. Students will also explore different spatial typologies, 2D and 3D communication techniques and apply their skills to design multiple living room spaces.
- MSFID5022 Explore and apply creative design methodology to interior space
- CUADES302 Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
2. Design methods: Understanding the Design Cycle
This module focuses on gaining a more in-depth understanding of the various steps in the design cycle. Students will apply the techniques and processes involved in each design phase to design multiple dining room spaces.
- MSFID4012 Decorate residential interiors
- CUADES512 Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
3. Colour in Interior Design
This module explores colour schemes for interior and exterior spaces and makes recommendations for colour applications and finishes. Students will apply their knowledge and skills to design multiple rooms, including a bedroom, living room, patio, and home office.
- MSFID4016 Design colour schemes for interior and exterior spaces
- MSFID5027 Research and recommend colour applications and finishes
4. Properties of 3D Materials
This module focuses on researching the features of hard materials and finishes for interior spaces and makes relevant recommendations to satisfy a design brief. Students will apply their knowledge and skills to design two kitchens, including a utility area.
- MSFID4018 Research and recommend hard materials and finishes for interiors
5. Design influences: history, culture and context
This module explores the history of interior design by looking at specific interior decoration and design influences. Students will use this information to inspire their own designs.
- CUADES305 Source and apply information on the history and theory of design
- MSFID4019 Research interior decoration and design influences
6. Furniture and Accessories
This module focuses on researching various furniture and accessories for interior spaces to design soft furnishing solutions that satisfy a brief. Students will use their knowledge and skills to design two bedrooms and an en-suite.
- MSFID4017 Research and recommend furniture and accessories
- MSFID4021 Design soft furnishing solutions for interior spaces
7. Creating 3D visuals using CAD
This module focuses on the introduction to CAD. It will explore the creative design processes to create 3D forms and relevant 3D digital models using appropriate software. Students will use CAD skills in the design of multiple bathrooms.
- CUADES303 Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
- CUAANM313 Create 3D digital models
- MSFID5021 Evaluate site structure and services for interior spaces
8. Designing Residential Interiors I
This module focuses on inclusive design, i.e., creating spaces that are accessible for all ages and abilities. Students will apply the necessary techniques and processes to design three inclusive spaces of their choice.
- MSFID5025 Develop residential interior design project documentation
- MSFID4013 Design residential interior lighting
- MSFID5020 Design residential interiors
9. Designing Residential Interiors II
This module focuses on designing entire residential spaces, interior lighting, and the production of design project documentation. Students must apply all the knowledge and skills they have gained thus far to satisfy multiple briefs, leading to the design of entire residential apartments.
- MSFID4015 Prepare materials and finishes boards for client presentation
- MSFID5023 Design for all ages and abilities
- CUADES423 Research and apply techniques in spatial design
10. Complex Designs
This module focuses on producing digital models and documentation while developing proposals for multiple complex sites. Students will be required to include integrated embedded technologies and sustainable practices while completing three restoration design projects, each involving a large, high-end residential dwelling.
- MSFID5016 Develop decoration proposals for complex sites
- MSFID5019 Decorate interiors for restoration projects
- MSFID4020 Research and integrate embedded technologies in interior designs
- MSFID4014 Produce digital models and documentation for interior design projects
- CUAPPR514 Establish and maintain environmentally sustainable creative practice
11. Completing your own Interior Design Project
This module allows students to develop and extend their design skills and practices in relation to industry requirements (i.e., employment). Students will identify their strengths and weaknesses as a designer and create a personal development plan based on their career ambitions. They will further develop their design skills by presenting a body of their own creative work that has been refined and improved, showing their progression in this course.
- CUADES413 Develop and extend design skills and practice
- CUAPPR513 Present a body of own creative work
All our trainers are interior design professionals working in the industry.
Despina began her career as a draftsperson for Tattersalls’ before working on brands such as BMW and Jag for Myer. After completing both a Bachelor of Arts and an Advanced Diploma in Interior Design, Despina started designing kitchens and bathrooms. In 2005 she moved to Hong Kong to design hotels for brands such as Marriott, MGM Grand, Hilton and Mandarin Oriental. Back in Australia, Despina completed projects for Starwood and IHG. Today, she loves being an educator and teaching future generations to design better.
The Australian Academy of Interior Design
Our philosophy at the Australian Academy of Interior Design is to make high-quality education accessible to all by empowering people to do what they love. Through the power of online and blended learning, our students are able to harness their creativity and practically apply it to succeed in their chosen careers.
Pursue your ambition - because the future is today!Learn more